The thing that is holding you


Another day, another life, another death, another fear.
What is that thing holding us, holding Nigerians, preventing us from being great, from being all we can be and meant to be.
We continually pray, we continually hope, we continually flee our country, yet we're the citizens and the leaders responsible for where we are and what we are.
We are cheats, we're thieves, we're corrupt, we are killers, we are envious of our fellows, we backbite and slander, we refuse to read, to learn, to improve, yet we remain so wise and too wise in our own eyes.
We continue to sink to a new low everyday and on every index and scale except for the negative. Poverty, frustration, death the only pictures millions see daily.
I wake everyday empty, frustrated and tired, tired of my life as a Nigerian, wishing I can leave and never return, run away from my life, from me, from Nigeria, and the Nigerian in me. Fearful for my daily sustenance, fearful for my children yet to come, fearful for them to bear these yokes and chains I bear as a Nigerian.
The sun must rise in the East and a journey must have an end, where and when is all I do not know.
 The thing that is holding you, holding us is the thing around your neck, our necks, the noose for your hanging, our hanging.
The thing that is holding us as Nigerians is the thing that would be responsible for our collective destruction sooner than we realize.

D.N.A

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My experience trying to join the Nigerian Army

How I lost my religion (as a Nigerian)

A tale of suicide and a failed country